Tuesday, February 12, 2008

super fast weeknight dinner.


Got home late, and had to be out again right after dinner, so it's another easy quick fix meal tonight.

I made my own version of Mac N' Cheese, and a quick cucumber salad to go with the cheesy goodness. I didn't really follow a recipe as I made my own. And when I cook I hardly measure to the exact cup/tablespoons unless I'm 1) baking, 2) learning a new recipe that is complex and 3) when I know the exactness of the ingredients I use will affect the recipe alot. So here it is, at least to what I remember!

Quicky Mac N' Cheese

3 cups of penne pasta (or macaroni) - I think I cooked too much, but yay to leftovers for lunch!
1 lb. of lean ground beef (or whatever meat you want to throw in)
1 - 1.5 cups grated cheddar (depends on your cheesyness)
1 - 1.5 cups grated mozzarella
1 can Campbell's condensed cheese soup (you're not trying to be a gourmet chef here... Campbell's saves you time and actually makes good, weeknight dinners!)
1 cup milk (I use 1%)
Minced garlic
1/2 of chopped onion
Salt, ground black pepper
Worchestire sauce
Pepper sauce (I use tabasco!)

1. Cook pasta, drain. Set aside.
2. Drizzle olive oil in pan over medium heat. Brown minced garlic and chopped onion until clear. Brown ground beef. Season with generous amount of salt and pepper. Add splashes of worchestire sauce and hot pepper sauce.
3. Add cheese soup and milk into pan. Stir and bring to a boil. Heat off. (you may want to taste test... I actually find that I had to add abit more salt to the pasta to bring out the flavor)
4. Toss pasta, cheddar and mozza cheese together. Pour into a baking dish.
5. Bake in a 400F oven for 15-20 mins until cheese melts. You may want to toss/stir the pasta around half way at the 15 min mark so the pasta at the very top doesn't become dry.

Alot of Campbell's soup makes good, quick meals. Every working household's pantry should have at least a can of two of Campbell's soup (Cream of Mushroom, especially!) for those fast weeknight dinner emergencies! I like this recipe because the sauce is not too thick, just enough that it coats the pasta evenly!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome dinner tonight! I like being the test rat. Keep up the great work!

-Hubs Chan

lowlight said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lowlight said...

gree on the Campbell Soup! Cream of Mushroom with extra mushrooms and cauliflower is pretty damn yummy as a side dish ;)

vespertine said...

mrs. chan! hello!=)
just wanted to say that I've been enjoying your blog entries. inspiring ;)

re: starbucks question from previous blog - the whole charging for soy and milk thing is one of great controversy...I remember debating that quite a bit. and we couldn't figure out a real answer...but I always charged once! (or in the case of your "hubs chan" , I tried not to charge at all)

snerk said...

hello jo!
i found your blog thru jr :)
my mom is totally one of those ppl who has to clear out the dish rack b4 cooking and she also washes everything as she goes, AND she won't eat dinner until she has washed all the prep dishes/pots. Ugh. :D

Jo said...

hullo jr! hullo, snerk!

auntie does that too? hm, well then, maybe we're not that weird afterall! ^_^